Monday, November 12, 2012

Mid-life

Where do i see myself in 20-30 years? This was the first question that popped into my head when i first started reading the chapter on the mid-life stage in our textbook. Everyone else usually asks me "where will you be in 5 years? next year? next month?"; never anything too far ahead. I don't know, maybe they think it'll scare us youngsters to think that far into the future. Or maybe mid-life is less complicated once you get the next few years of your life figured out and organized  I look at how my parents turned out, and i shudder. By the time i'm 62, i will most certainly not have a split-level house in the middle of a small retirement town in Skagit County, with thousands of dollars in debt and no legacy of any kind to leave my grandchildren except a sad painting of a woman by a well.

No thanks.

However, i do not plan on buying a porche, living in a mansion, or only having 1-2 children because any more is improper. Nope...although a yellow corvette convertible would be nice. I'm going to live wherever i get along with people, with a great school nearby, have at least 4-5 children, and love one man for the rest of my life. That is my ideal (also, divorce is not an option. There will be problems, yes, i expect that. But unless abuse or neglect is involved, i'm not going there). On the other hand, nothing ever goes the way we plan, does it? Or maybe it does, but it's a small variation of it.

I was asking my friends this same question, and they looked at me confused. This is probably because mid-life isn't something we normally think about; we usually discuss what we're going to do tomorrow, next week, etc. Everything is happening RIGHT NOW, so we have no time to think about what might happen later. Then we get to that mid-life stage and we look at each other like, "how did we get here?" I myself am somewhat excited to get to that mid-life phase, when i can learn to appreciate things more (hopefully), teach my kids about complexities, how to do things on their own, and how to come back home whenever they get in trouble. It's a whole different bundle of responsibilities  and it's wonderful that they're given to us when we can handle them in the best possible way.

2 comments:

  1. Nobody goes into a marriage telling themselves that it will end in divorce in 5-10 years. Things happen in life and people change right in front of your eyes. I do hope that you get your happily ever after. Marriage should never be taken lightly and it is hard work to bring two personalities into one home and not diagree on things. Then you come to realize "How much do I love this person". Is it enough to compromise and give 100%. You bet it is!!! True love is so rare these days that when you find it, you hold on with every ounce of your being!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you get older your wants and needs might change. I love the life you've set for yourself to achieve, it sounds wonderful. I know 5 years ago I would never have seen myself here now, doing what I'm doing. The future is unpredictable to a certain extent, if you want something bad enough, you'll get it, (with hard work of course).

    ReplyDelete