Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Education of Our Nation

I am continually fascinated by the educational system. If i wasn't going to be a nurse, i'd most likely be a pre-school teacher. Way back in the day, when public schools had yet to be founded, everyone was taught by their parents. Depending on the child's gender, they were either taught their family trade (i.e. carpentry, masonry, fishing, etc.) or taught by their mothers on how to care for the house and its occupants. As more scientific discoveries and inventions were made, more occupations became available. But these occupations required a little more attention to detail, and so required more education. Apprenticeships by other people were mandatory. Populations grew, small schools were developed which consisted of a single instructor with a small number of students (and by small i mean smaller than what we have today). Academies, boarding schools, universities were founded, etc.

I believe they probably had difficult children even back then, even in historic schools. I don't know for sure, but they probably didn't have the data we have today about disorders and how to therapeutically handle them in a way that benefits the child. Those difficult children were probably labeled as dunces, or something. Put in a corner somewhere, yelled at, maybe even abused by frustrated parents or teachers. I don't know. I can see it happening. What frustrates me is that this stuff still happens today. We put a label on kids, because that's how our organized scientific brains work, assume it's true, and react accordingly to how we think we should treat the problem. However, a lot of us make the mistake of thinking of the child AS the disorder. For example, we see a kid with a learning disability, and pretty soon that's how we identify the kid. Then, that's all we see when we look at them. And kids are smart; they'll pick up on how you treat them. If you treat them as a problem, they'll act like it. Just speaking from experience, here.

2 comments:

  1. That is a pretty powerful statement, and I totally agree- the part about if you treat a kid like a problem, they'll act like one. Little people(as in kids) are all trying things out, trying life out. They mostly want love and praise, but if they get attention by acting out, then that's positive reinforcement for negative behavior.
    My best friend is a new teacher, teaching 6th grade. She has a student who "acts out" all the time, but in the way of a class clown. He makes jokes, disrupts class, etc. His main goal is to be funny, and even she as the teacher says "He's so BAD, but he's so funny it's hard to discipline him". She does, but he keeps at it, because he gets positive reaction from his peers.
    Back in historic schooling, and even up until my parents day, it was okay for teachers to BEAT children. We see that as shocking in this day, but my grandpa was beaten with a belt from a teacher (or so he tells me, but I believe'm). That is how they handled kids who misbehaved...put the fear in to them and maybe they won't do it again! As far as children with developmental delays...it's really sad to think of what they must have gone through before there was more of an understanding about the learning process and development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the children with disorders even get to go to school? If they did I'll bet they were yelled at or even abused like Katy mentions. What do you think that yelling and abuse did to these young minds? Or were the kids more susceptible to changing their behavior the first time they were asked because of the "fear"? I know it happens but, I feel a child should never be defined as their disorder. You are right that kids are smart and DO pick up on this.

    ReplyDelete